1 whole chicken
6 poblano peppers
6 cans great northern beans
2 large onions, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups half and half
1 container sour cream
Chopped fresh cilantro
1 bottle beer
1 bag white corn tortilla chips
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a seven quart Dutch oven, add chicken broth, drain and add beans, half and half, finely chop onions and add.
2. Leave uncovered and simmer for one hour when you begin roasting the chicken. Cover chili mixture for the second hour.
3. Add the shredded chicken and peppers when done.
4. Place the Dutch Oven (with cover) in the grill with the heat deflector still in place and bake at 250F.
5. Bake for two hours and leave uncovered for one more hour.
1. Preheat grill to 300F and insert heat deflector (I used peach wood chunks, which made the skin look very dark).
2. Add beer to chicken stand, brush olive oil on chicken and sprinkle with sea salt (pepper or other spices to taste). I also, placed a pear slice in the neck of the chicken to keep the steam and heat inside the chicken…a carrot piece works well too).
3. Roast chicken for 2 hours or to an internal breast temperature of 165F.
4. Pull skin off chicken and shred white and dark meat.
5. I also took some of the skin from the breast portion, finely chopped it and added to the chili.
Poblano Pepper Instructions
1. Roast the peppers with the chicken for 30 minutes.
2. Split roasted peppers and remove seeds.
3. Finely chop and add to chili.
Serve with finely chopped cilantro, sour cream and tortilla chips.